Return to the BUILD
“Fit the left and right rear light clusters, bulb holders, and LEDs to the rear of the main body shell.”
- 71A – Rear Left Light Cluster
- 71B – Rear Right Light Cluster
- 71C – Rear Left Bulb Holder
- 71D – Rear Right Bulb Holder
- 71E – Rear LEDs and Wires
- 2x RP screws (+1 spare)
Materials: Everything in this phase is plastic.
Magazine – Issue 19
- Assembly Guide: Model Instructions
- Track Legends: Ford Mustang, Mercedes-Benz C 111
- The Story of Motorsports: The Engine and the Center of Gravity, Paris-Dakar Rally
- Ace Racers: Mike Hawthorn
- Challenging Circuits: Watkins Glen
The Rear Lights
Retrieve your Body assembly from the previous phase. Fit the Rear Left Light Cluster and Rear Right Light Cluster into these locations at the rear of the Body assembly, as shown:
Fit the leads of an LED on the Rear LEDs and Wires cable into this slot of the Rear Left Bulb Holder, as shown.
On my model, both of the Bulb Holders were exactly the same – I don’t think it matters:
Carefully turn the Body assembly upside down and slide this assembly through the holes behind the rear lights, as shown.
I had some left over pieces of the Body casting in these holes and had to scrape it out with my screwdriver. When this is installed, be sure it does not push the rear lights out of the Body:
Secure this Rear Left Bulb Holder into the Rear Left Light Cluster through the Body assembly with one (1) RP screw:
In the same way, repeat the previous steps on the right side using the remaining LED on the Rear LEDs and Wires:
Once again, they could have added LEDs into the turn indicators too, but did not. Still, the rear end of our 300 SL is looking great!
Phase 72 – Body: Hood Support Bracket/Arm, Hood Hinges/Flanges