This Eaglemoss 1:8 scale Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing partworks build-up can be purchased in two ways. In many countries, it is available for purchase directly at local newsagents. But, here in the US and a few other countries, it is only available by signing up for a monthly subscription service online at sites like Eaglemoss US. Therefore, everything here is based on the subscription version.
UPDATE Feb 2021: Some time in the past few months, Eaglemoss moved this build to ‘Past Collections’ and it appears to be only be available if you call their customer service department directly.
Over the span of about two years, Eaglemoss delivers 100 ‘phases’ that include a few parts of the model along with magazine ‘issues’ containing build instructions and information about Mercedes. These are monthly deliveries, and after the introductory shipment of the first two phases, they are shipped in groups of four phases and one issue about every four weeks.
The subscription is perpetual and automatically charges your credit card every month when the issue ships. If necessary, however, the subscription can be suspended or cancelled at any time. This subscription version includes some FREE gifts along the way, which I will include below.
I created this site to share my own build progress and hopefully offer hints and tips I discovered along the way. It is not intended to be a step-by-step replacement for the instructions, so please read the magazines carefully! Lastly, most of the parts appear to be very detailed, so I may only be painting a few things to be more accurate.
Below are links to the articles for my build:
- Getting Started – If you are new to the model, begin here!
- Issue 1
- Free Gift #1 – Toolkit
- Issue 2
- Phase 03 – Interior: Dashboard, Turn Signals and Windshield Wiper Stalks, Gauges, Steering Wheel/Column
- Phase 04 – Engine: Left Engine Block, Fuel Injection Pump/Shaft/Pipes, Flywheel Cover
- Phase 05 – Body: Front Bumper, License Plate, Overriders
- Phase 06 – Engine: Crankcase, Oil Filter, Oil Radiator Cover/Tank/Pipe
- Free Gift #2 – Collector’s Binder
- Issue 3
- Phase 07 – Engine: Cylinder Head, Front/Rear Exhaust Manifolds, Front Seals
- Phase 08 – Engine: Intake Manifold, Heat Shield, Air Intake Tube, Compressor Intake
- Phase 09 – Engine: Cylinder Head Cover, Tensioning Screws, Ignition Cables/Duct, Distributor and Cables
- Phase 10 – Engine: Right Engine Block, Dynamo, Pulley, Support Plate, Water Pump
- Issue 4
- Issue 5
At this point in the build, I asked Eaglemoss to start sending my issues every two weeks.
- Issue 6
- Issue 7
Right here, I encountered a massive delay in receiving any further issues from Eaglemoss. It would be months…
- Issue 8
- Issue 9
- Phase 31 – Body: Ignition Relay/Coil, Firewall Hose, Wiring Harness, Headlight Relay
- Phase 32 – Body: Windshield Washer Tank/Hose/Bracket, Fuse Box, Electrical Relay, Firewall Hoses
- Phase 33 – Body: Windshield Wiper Motor/Bracket, Brake Fluid Reservoir, Hood Catch, Firewall Hoses
- Phase 34 – Engine: Radiator Housing/Hoses
- Issue 10
- Issue 11
- Issue 12
- Issue 13
Right here, I encountered another multi-month delay in receiving any further deliveries from Eaglemoss. When they finally resumed, I got random phases like 51, 60, 62-67, so I could only proceed a little bit at a time.
- Issue 14
- Phase 51 – Interior: Control Circuit Board, Cable Clips
- Issue 14
- Issue 15
- Phase 55 – Body: Rear Window
Another multi-month delay here while I waited for replacements for missing and damaged parts:
- Issue 15
- Phase 58 – Body: Left Door Headliner/Window
- Issue 16
- Issue 17
- Issue 18
- Issue 19
- Issue 20
- Issue 21
- Issue 22
- Issue 23
- Issue 24
- Issue 25
- Issue 26
- Phase 101 – Car Cover